Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Officially Spring

So it's now officially SPRING. I was reading a blog from California where the author posted a photo of bumblebees buzzing around her lavender, which was flowering. Here's what spring looks like in Utah.  No flowering lavender here.



Or here.

 I know it's spring when I see asparagus on sale in my market. ON SALE. WOO HOO!!!

 We love, love, love asparagus and eat it as often as we can when it's in season. Try this great preparation for asparagus. You'll be glad you did.

 Asparagus in Brown Honey Sauce
1 lb. of fresh asparagus, trimmed and peeled if large and woody
2 Tab. unsalted butter
2 Tab. lite soy sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 Tab. mild-flovored honey
Freshly ground pepper and kosher salt to taste


 Cook the asparagus (I steam mine) until just slightly underdone to your taste. Plunge in cold water to stop the cooking; the aparagus will finish cooking later in the sauce. Set aside for now.

Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice and honey. Stir just until blended and warm. Let simmer over high heat until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit. Add the asparagus and toss until the stalks are coated with sauce and warmed through. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. my husband loves asparagus! I'll have to try this recipe...it sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are asparagus lovers as well. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete