Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Thursday, October 3, 2013

San Francisco Deli Salad

Years ago we were in downtown San Francisco with the girls.  It was lunchtime and we stopped in at a little little take-out deli (wish I could remember the name).  One bite of this salad and we were all in love.  The flavors of sun-dried tomatoes, tuna, pasta and capers all covered in tangy balsamic dressing were a winner. Poor Erin, she shared most of her lunch.  We all wished we had picked her salad.  As soon as we got home, I recreated it.  

It's not the most beautiful salad I've ever made but it's one of the most flavorful.  With just 5 or 6 ingredients it might be the simplest but don't let the easy preparation and number of ingredients fool you.  It's so good you'll want to make it again and again (we do).

It easily packs in a lunch bag or box and it only gets better after a day in the refrigerator.  Best of all, you probably have all of the ingredients already in your pantry and fridge.

I give you the San Francisco Deli Salad...by way of City Home/Country Home.  One of the best things we ever brought home from a vacation.


San Francisco Financial District Deli Salad
            Inspired by a take-out salad eaten while on vacation

1 pound of pasta, like rottini or penne
½ cup of  capers , drained, rinsed, and chopped
½ cup of  black olives, chopped (optional)
1 can of water packed albacore tuna, drained
¾ cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (if using oil marinated tomatoes, drain well)
1 recipe (or bottle) of balsamic vinegar salad dressing

Cook pasta and drain.  Toss the pasta in a salad bowl with the next four ingredients.  Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat.  Use as much dressing as you need to flavor the pasta.  Let it marinate for several hours or overnight before serving.


Serve cold.

5 comments:

  1. I am not a tuna fan, but all of the other favours would be in my list of favourites! I am sure that it all tastes good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy! Oddly enough, I don't really know how to use sun-dried tomatoes. I'm sure there's not big secret, I just haven't ever made anything with them. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use sundried tomatoes a lot Anna. They are great for a pop of flavor in soups, pastas, sandwich spreads, and yes....salads and salad dressings. My husband likes to snack on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy Bonnie! I like to go places and do recreations. I am not so good at it as my sister Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete