Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Rotten....to the core.

This was the sight that greeted us last weekend when we pulled into the yard.

The timber post and beam clothesline died from rot.

Do we care?  Not really.  We never really liked that clothesline.  We never liked the close proximity to the house.

One day our fence contractor called me and said, "I have a surprise for you."
Surprised...? You bet.
Happy?  Not so much.
He had made me a clothesline and buried it in cement, without asking me, and then charged us for it. Yes...he did. I was thinking I might like a clothesline; one like my Mom and Grandmother had.  I have fond memories of my aunt taking our swings off the swing set and hooking them up to the round clothesline and spinning us round and round.  It probably wasn't very safe.  A Federal Agency would shut her down nowadays. My mother wasn't very happy with my teenage aunt but we had a great time...until Mom shut the carnival ride down.

This "gift" of a clothesline was nothing like the clothesline of my dreams or my childhood.  It looked like something from a medieval castle.  Too big... too close to the house... too hard to mow around.  In short, we hated it but it was buried deep in the ground and no one volunteered to remove it so we have hated it for years.

Now we need to sledge hammer out the concrete and get it to the wood pile.
The End.

6 comments:

  1. I have to laugh! The poor dead clothesline... What a tale. He is foisted upon you, you don't want him, don't like him and then he ups and dies. You gotta laugh at this!!! At least you can burn the wood ('cause you need more wood..........) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of a clothes line do you want? The round kind? Several lines hooked to a metal pole? I'm glad the line you didn't love gave up the ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor clothes line. I want one that with the post in the center. It folds out with many lines, but I don't think it will happen. Your pictures from Wyoming was absolutely beautiful. I have never been there but I have had family talk about those mountains. The snow can go away. It is to soon. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No!!! I will admit -- I LOVED your sweet clothesline. Bulky and all. Probably because I live in one of those stupid neighborhoods that won't let me have one and I. Want. A. Clothesline!!! Your merry-go-round story made me laugh -- fun aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie,
    I didn't even notice that your clothesline had died.
    But, it sounds like it's a happy death, at least for you :)

    We had a pulley clothesline when I was growing up, and I loved that thing! Sending the clothes up the line, into that blue sky was awesome! The clothesline was attached to a metal pole in the back yard with one pulley, and the opposite end was attached to the huge wooden light pole a half acre away, at the other end of the yard, and a good 30 feet off the ground.
    One of these days, I'd love to have one of those pulley system clothes lines again.

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was funny! What a fun aunt. We had a lot of fun with our old clothesline growing up too, but then again, we didn't have much to do so we had to get creative and make forts with the blankets Mom had hung out.

    ReplyDelete