Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

End of summer raspberries.

Last weekend all four of our daughters were home at the same time, for the first time since Christmas.  We had a great time.  Saturday we visited McBride Briar Patch intending to pick blackberries.  The crop of blackberries wasn't very good this year so Mr. McBride suggested we pick raspberries instead.  Our raspberries ripen in June so we can always use more this time of year.
Here's what we made with the raspberries.
I used the blackberry ice cream recipe from Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, the Bi-Rite Creamery recipe book but substituted raspberries.  Bi-Rite Creamery in San Francisco has the best ice cream I've ever eaten, hands down. Our ice cream was every bit as delicious as the flavors in their store.  It was very creamy and rich and the raspberries were perfectly ripe and full of flavor which I'm sure had a lot to do with the result..  
This is the first recipe I have tried from Bi-Rite book although I've eaten my share (and then some) of ice cream from their shop.  If the rest of the recipes in their book are half as good as this one, I'll be happy.  I won't have to go to San Francisco when I want this ice cream.

Rachel decided that we should try the salted caramel next.  She left this morning to study as a student for a semester in Jerusalem so my waistline is safe for a while.  Although, I might have to give the recipe a try just to make sure we like it before she comes home.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie..
    that looks like such yummy ice cream!
    Thanks for the link too!

    We're getting thunder down here.. but no rain yet...drat!

    Best of luck to your daughter in her studies.
    What an adventurous young woman!

    Enjoy the rest of this day..
    I'm off to work on my roasted tomatoes.
    I'd like to freeze some as well for this coming winter.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four daughters! This would be an absolute dream for me! You are so blessed.

    I am going to look up that recipe and give it a try. My raspberries aren't fresh, but are frozen from last summer, so I know it won't be as tasty-but hopefully will still do the trick.

    Your photos are mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy, Bonnie! I do wish I could have a taste! Best wishes for your daughter. God be with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I obviously wasn't home for the raspberry ice cream I vote (no, I highly suggest) you wait for me to come home before you try out the salted caramel recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great that you were all together. What a fun/delicious way to spend your time. Love raspberry ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, and with all your girls too...now that's a real treat! We may go blueberry picking this weekend~hope so!

    ReplyDelete