Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hand Quilting

I'm taking a little break from hand quilting this.
Because my fingers look like this.  That's not blood, just ragged skin, and it does not hurt, believe it or not.
Do you notice the shiny spot on the end of my finger?  It's this.

Greatest tip I ever learned for hand quilting!  I put a drop or two on my finger before quilting and it does protect my fingers.  No more blood and holes (just ragged skin).  If you are a hand quilter, stop into your local pharmacy aisle by the bandaids and pick up a bottle.  It also works as a bandage too, should you forget to put it on when you begin to quilt.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, I love your quilt, very unusual. Hand quilting's a killer, isn't it? I don't use a thimble, I can't get on with them and it looks like you don't either! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- thanks for a great tip! I always make my fingers ragged too -- and my thumbnails 'cause I used them as a backstop for the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is going to be lovely! Your finger does look sore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WEow! She quilts troo! Love that quilt....I can't/won't use a thimble, never got the hang of it....Thimbleanna's comment made me laugh---I also use my nail as a backstop! Will have to try your tip, I believe there's some in the medicine cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very unusual quilt! I look forward to seeing it all spread out. I have TJ's Spoon that I use if my fingers get too sore, but I'll have to look into that new skin. I have to quilt in such little bursts of time that my fingers usually don't get that sore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt. The colors are so bright and I am guessing the material is older. Thanks for the liquid bandaid idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea ! Love the quilt also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip - no pun intended lol. I'm not a hand quilter but I tend to get that when I've spent a lot of time doing embroidery and I just can't wear a thimble, it's to awkard for me. I'm going to try to remember to pick some of this up. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, HAND quilting? You're amazing! I'm glad you found the trick to better protecting your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I haven't been able to find a follow up on your rag rug technique. Please send me a link or let me know how to purchase your instructions. Thank you so much. Keri Sims - simsville42@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete