Mr. City Home: “We should plant some gooseberry bushes. I remember my grandfather having one in his yard and once in a while my mother would make a pie.”
Me: “We'll plant one bush. If it does well we can plant more.”
The gooseberry bush grew very“well” and today I picked our first crop; for hours, and hours I picked.
The bush has thorns; lots of them. Gooseberries are small and difficult to pick. They also need to be cleaned before eating, and they have a stem and a blossom that need to be pinched off.
- Cost of gooseberry bush: $30.00
- Cost of labor to pick and clean the gooseberries for pie: 7 hours@ $8.00/hr (that’s about minimum wage, although I think my time is worth more); $56.00
- Cost of pie ingredients: $3.00
- Cost of labor to make pie: 1 hr @ $8.00/hr; $8.00 *(refer to number 2 above)
- Total cost of gooseberry pie: $97.00
- Memories of childhood gooseberry pie: Priceless (according to my husband); please note that he is not the one responsible for making said pie.