Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not muffins


These funny little things are deodorizing discs.  I saw them on Pinterest and gave them a try.  They made up quickly and using standard muffin tins, I got 24 discs from this recipe.
They couldn't be easier to make...

2 cups of baking soda
1-2 cups of water
Several drops of essential oil

Heat the water to boiling and add the oil.  Mix the liquid slowly into a bowl containing the baking soda.  Add only enough liquid to make a spreadable paste.  I needed about 1 cup of water.  The more water you mix in...the longer the discs take to dry and harden.

Spoon the paste into small containers.  I used aluminum muffin tins but I think that silicone molds would work great.  Don't do anything to the tins (like greasing them).

Let the soda completely dry.  This may take several days or just half a day depending on the humidity in your air.  Tap the discs out of the tins and store in jars or bags until you need them.

I popped one in the bottom of my garbage can and so far, it is keeping the can smelling pretty fresh.  I read that these work wonders in diaper pails, cars, pantries and refrigerators too.  

Some people who made them put them in their wash after using them elsewhere.  I don't think I would do this.  They are so cheap and I'm not sure if I want them in my wash after using them someplace like a diaper pail.

Try them.  I think they are great little things to have on hand.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, I had not heard of making your own deodorizing disc, but they don't sound like they would be hard to make. Your silicone molds would probably make them easier to pop out of the container. Your banana bread looks yummy from the previous post. I like to pop my bread in the microwave for just a few seconds to warm it up. That is yummy with your cup of coffee. Have a wonderful evening. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great, I will have to try these and soon. Thanks Bonnie

    ReplyDelete