Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Off the Needles

This was one of Rachel's Christmas gifts; Slouchy Cardigan, from the book"Greetings from Knit Cafe".  This is a great throw-over-and-go sweater.  It doesn't have a front band or buttons, and it's meant to be worn open.  Rachel loves hoods, but if I were to make this pattern for myself I might just leave the hood off.  I used a worsted weight instead of the DK that the pattern called for; the warmth is needed here in our climate.  The yarn I used is Cash Vero (which also comes in DK weight).  It is luxurious.  This sweater knit up quickly and I might make one for myself if I can find the time. There were a lot of errors in the original pattern so if you are using a first printing of the book, be sure to check here for the errata. This book is out of print, but I found a copy at my local library. I always check there first before trying to find a used copy to purchase.

The last photo is directly from the book.  I have included it so you can see how "drapy" this sweater is when made from DK weight yarn.  You can also see the front a bit better on the shorter-haired model.  The temperature was in the teens the day Rachel posed for this photo and we were in a bit of a hurry to take a photo and get back inside before she froze to death.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a fantastic job on this. Was it difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,

    It was not difficult. It did have a lot of errors in the pattern but the errata clears those up. It knit up quickly because it is just stockinette stitch. I did forget to mention that I did 2 rows of ribbing at the bottom of the sweater to keep it from curling. But even after blocking the edges curl a lot. I'm not sure what they did to the photo in the book to keep it from curling. Wish I knew. I did enjoy knitting this and Rachel loves it so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, this is absolutely amazing! I am a non-sewer and non knitter ( do I even have to say no crocheter?). I am so impressed. Your daughter looks model-great in this and what a wonderful thing to have such a great cardigan made my you! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty sweater and a beautiful Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty sweater. I would love to be able to knit like this. I am a beginner. Only dish cloths and one shawl. I do a lot in crochet because I have crocheted since I was a young teen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sweater! I love the color and it looks really comfy too:) Rachel is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, that sweater is wonderful! And, I'm guessing since I'm new around here that is your daughter. She is lovely. I enjoy making knitted gifts for my family... there is such a feeling of wrapping them in your love. =) Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, the sweater is just darling and so is your model! Cute as they can be, both of them.

    ReplyDelete