Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, November 26, 2010

Pecan Pie

The food was prepared; my pies were baked (along with Abby's flour-less chocolate birthday cake);

the dinner was attended (thanks Grandma and Grandpa); the pie was cut; and these were my leftovers...
at least for an hour or two.  And then it was gone.

I didn't get a photo of a piece with whipped cream (or of my sisters' families who left before I remembered that I had my camera in my purse).  I was lucky to get a shot at all after the pies were cut.

Now it begins....the tree is trimmed and the mantels are decorated.  No time to waste!  'Tis the season!!!

Just in case you'd like to make a pecan pie for your Christmas celebrations, the recipe's here...
I make this pie only once or twice a year.  Sometimes for Christmas or New Year's I make this but add a mixture of nuts.  I like macadamia, pecan, hazelnuts, and almonds.  I call it Nutcracker "Sweet" pie (get it?).  The original pecan pie recipe came from my friend Loree, who is a Georgia girl and an excellent cook.  It's the best pecan pie you will ever eat (note my brother holding up his empty plate in the photo above).  You'll want to lick your plate clean.  You won't; because you have manners, but you'll want to.  I guarantee it.

Loree’s Decadent Pecan Pie

1 cup of chopped pecans
1 cup of light Karo syrup (corn syrup)
1 cup of granulated sugar
3 large eggs
½ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of butter, browned
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 unbaked single pie shell

Combine all ingredients except pecans and stir until well blended.  Fold in pecans.  Pour into an un-baked pie crust.

Bake at 350˚ F. for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool.
Serve with whipped cream.









5 comments:

  1. I'm standing like a pregnant woman in this photo. Did I really eat that much!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great celebration with your family:) Do you know I have never made a pecan pie?!? I need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehehehe....I know that leftover pie didn't last long. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a wonderful pecan pie!! you had quite a group together for the holiday!
    Welcome to foodbuzz
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like macadamia, pecan, hazelnuts, and almonds. I call it Nutcracker "Sweet" pie (get it?). The original pecan pie recipe came from my friend ... enutcracker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete