Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, July 2, 2010

Pucker Up Lemon Curd

If you read my last post, you know that I have many egg yolks in the fridge waiting to be used.  And I mentioned those lemons.  I had one Satsuma orange (the ones they use to make canned Mandarin oranges) and several Eureka lemons already in the crisper when I was gifted a bag of wonderful Meyer lemons.  Have you ever tasted these?  They are so good.  Not readily available in stores because they are not as shippable as the firmer and lighter yellow colored Eureka.  Meyers are orange and have a less acidic flavor than Eurekas. They are a cross between a Mandarin orange and a lemon.  So...I juiced the lone Mandarin orange in the fridge along with the Meyers and a few of the Eurekas to make enough juice for one recipe of curd. The commonly seen market lemon, the Eureka, is the light yellow one in the photo.  The Meyer lemon is the orange one (that's not an orange) in the photo.  Isn't it funny to see a lemon with an orange rind?
I have made many lemon curd recipes over the years, but never found one that was JUST RIGHT.  I came up with this recipe by taking the components that I liked the best from several other recipes and combining them to make this one.  I love the tart flavor. 
This curd is rich and has vibrant flavor.  And the bonus...it can be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator (good luck with that!  Mine lasts a day or two; too many nibblers in my house).  Hide it carefully in the back, behind something no one likes to eat.  Or in a clean opaque container that used to store something no one likes to eat.  In fact, you just might want to BUY a container of something no one wants to eat and wash it out so you can hide your curd in it.  But that would just be plain mean, wouldn't it? 
Freeze it.
Serve it on scones or muffins.
Or...you can always top your Lemon Angel Food cake with it.

Bonnie’s Pucker-Up Lemon Curd


2 cups of granulated sugar
12 large egg yolks
1 cup of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of lemon zest, yellow part only
4 ounces (1 stick or ½ cup) of butter, cut into pieces
½ tsp. of pure vanilla extract

Wash and zest the lemons. Juice them. In a heavy-bottomed, non-aluminum pan mix the egg yolks with the granulated sugar. Whisk in the lemon juice. Cook the mixture on medium-low heat until it coats the back of a spoon.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter cubes. Strain through a strainer or a chinois. Add the lemon zest and stir in well.

Cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
This curd can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or frozen for 3 months.  The texture will be slightly softer after defrosting.

This post was submitted to Two for Tuesdays.

9 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make homemade lemon curd, and now I'm going to try! Thanks for the recipe and doing all the experimenting! Sounds just right:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie your so right technically they work but are very dense i feel so relieved that others are having the same issues as me with the bread making and wow adore your lemon curd one of my fav things its big back home in the UK

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks fantastic! I wish I had some for my blueberry dough! My neighbor has a dwarf lemon tree. I asked her a few weeks ago what kind of lemons they were and she said Meyeers. But they aren't orange and the skins are really thin. I wonder what kind they really are LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm. LOVE lemon anything and that curd looks positively delish! My favorite cheesecake recipe calls for lemon curd and I always have to make a special trip to Trader Joes for it. (Don't know why it never occurred to me that I could make it! DUH) I'll definitely be trying this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often tried hiding something n the fridge, but not putting it in a container of something no one wants to eat. Great tip! I'll remember to try that - lol. I need to try your curd too. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! I have never made lemon curd, but have always wanted to...I think I am scared that I will eat the entire jar with a spoon :)
    Your house is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm...lemon curd!! It just looks wicked good! I would totally covet a jar of this goodness =) thanks for sharing with Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bonnie this looks good! I have a recipe that I've been meaning to make that uses lemon curd as the base, it will give me a perfect reason to try your curd out. Love your pictures, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, mine never lasts more than a day or two, either. Come on, how could anyone possibly know lemon curd keeps for a few weeks? Did they lock it in a safe? The joke in my house is always "what's the best way to eat lemon curd?"... "with a spoon!"

    ReplyDelete