Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, April 23, 2010

Soup's on.

It's Spring and asparagus is one of those "SPRING-Y" vegetables.  I never eat it or buy it when it is out of season.  Sooo...even though I posted an asparagus recipe a few weeks ago, here is another.  Because who can really ever eat enough asparagus? 
Last time I went to Costco they had a big bag of white or blanched asparagus.  Now I had never tasted it and I thought,"Why not?"  The problem with white asparagus is that it's...kind of boring.   And I decided (after I bought it) that it really didn't look appetizing---AT ALL.  I  made soup (as it was raining and a bit chilly) and let's be perfectly honest......because we wouldn't have to look at it in it's original form as we ate it. 
 When I tasted it raw, it reminded me more of endive than green asparagus.  And it was still a bit boring.   I had some green asparagus which I steamed and chopped up for a garnish.  It gave the soup some color and a little extra flavor.  I think it could have used more steamed green asparagus added to the soup.  The original recipe called for white pepper, but I really dislike white pepper so I used freshly ground black pepper instead.

These are some pictures of me chopping the onion. Whew!!! That was tricky to do and take the picture at the same time. I needed my husband's tripod, but I was too lazy to set it up.  Do you chop like theses photos demonstrate?  When you chop, "do as I say, not as I did" in the photo.  Tuck your fingers under (which I usually do when I am not trying to take a photo and hold the onion at the same time) and guide the knife up and down against your knuckles.  Your finger-tips will thank you.  Some people first cut the onion vertically but I like to slice horizontally first and then vertically. It's just easier for me that way.  Get used to chopping like this and you will save a lot of time.


 





 
 
White asparagus has a different flavor than green, but my husband really liked this soup.  I don't think I will  buy white asparagus again.  Green probably has more vitamins and is healthier and I think it is a lot prettier than white, but it was fun to try this soup.  You can use green or white asparagus, whichever you like. 

Asparagus Soup
3 Tab. butter
1 yellow onion, chopped finely
4 Tab. flour
4 C. chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs. asparagus, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 C. heavy cream
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Melt the butter, add the onions and sautee' until they are translucent, about 10 minutes.  You do not want to get "color" on the onions if you want a white soup.  Add the flour and let it cook for about 2 minutes more to remove the flour taste.  Add the chicken broth and blend.  Add the asparagus, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and cover.  Let simmer until the asparagus is tender, about 15 minutes.  Remove some of the asparagus and set aside.  Puree' the soup until smooth, and add the reserved asparagus and cream.  Heat again just until the soup is warm.  Adjust seasonings.  Garnish with some chopped green asparagus or some minced chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment