Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, February 22, 2013

Out of a Sow's Ear...

You've heard the old saying, "Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

That's what I intend.  I'm making neck rolls out of two very old rolls that used to sit on my daughter's day bed.  They were custom made by a seamstress employed by a designer years and years ago.  Let's just say they have seen better days, so when the custom bed cover that they matched was retired, I put the rolls aside.  My husband has been using them as neck rolls on our bed at the homestead and he likes them...a lot.
But the outer covers don't match ANY of our new bed coverings and they are a bit too big, but I can recycle, so I took them apart today.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the seamstress had already recycled her old scraps and trimmings from other jobs by using them as stuffing.  And she charged me a WHOLE LOT of money for this mess that came from the inside.  No wonder they always felt a bit lumpy.  Good idea...bad execution.
I salvaged what I could of the inner pillow cover and some batting.  With a little reduction surgery and a whole new outer cover, I will have rolls that fit the bed and no more lumps.  I'm off the the store for some new supplies for the "surgery" that I'm about to undertake.

Stay tuned..

2 comments:

  1. Well that was one thrifty seamstress. I recycle too, but I'd think a paying job would require new materials. That's just me. Good luck with the "lumpectomy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, looks like fun -- can't wait to see what you do with that "mess" LOL!

    ReplyDelete