Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Renewal

This holiday many of our friends and neighbors have been served an extra-portion of pain, sorrow and even loss.  It has been hard to truly feel joy in the season and not be affected by their pain.  I am always a bit let down after Christmas anyway.  So much preparation, noise, baking, and rush.  And then it's over.  Just like that.

This weekend our family, minus one daughter who is far away on a tropical island, retreated to the country for a much needed breather.  Games were played, a puzzle assembled, some of us knitted and we enjoyed the company.  The air was clean; the sky clear and blue and we could breathe again.  I dreaded driving back to the city.  And then the country road snaked up into a mountain valley and suddenly all around us the trees and bushes were coated with icy shards of hoar frost and they glistened in the sun.  We all stopped talking and marveled at their beauty.  I was reminded of how much we have and how blessed we are with the things that really matter.  We have enough and some to share.  And there was peace, in the cold and stillness that is winter.

Linked to Hearth 'n Soul.

8 comments:

  1. What a pretty post this was. I lived in the city for 30 years after growing up in farm country Indiana. Hubs and I moved to our house in the woods 3 years ago. Sometimes I miss the convenience of city living but I am digging in here. Fresh eggs from our very own chickens, that's what I am talking about. And we share with many which feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely pic, I spent christmas at home in texas, no cool weather..so christmas was different, but we still rejoiced our blessings...

    hapyy holidays!
    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean...but I dolove the calm and renewal that is a white winter. Lovely post :D Thanks for sharing it w/ us this week at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a cabin in the country and I love the peace we feel there too! Happy new year to you and your family! Today, I wish to be on a tropical island!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post, Bonnie. My expectations of this season were kind of dashed due to my own unorganized, procrastinating nature, and tiny house(especially for 13 people). On to a new day, new year, new goals, and new perspective.
    Happy New Year! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very nice post. On a winter day when snow is falling and I'm outside, I still enjoy looking at the designs of individual snowflakes that have fallen on my gloves. They melt quickly, but they are gorgeous.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel like the year begins on the winter solstice, and that I need the cold and ice and winds to clean the slate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post - wishing you a wonderful year ahead :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete