Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hmmm...Hot Fudge Sundae Sauce

We love hot fudge sundaes at our house.  I don't really like ice cream unless it's a vehicle for hot fudge sauce. 

Have you ever ordered a hot fudge sundae at an ice cream parlor and gotten one with chocolate sauce instead?   I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!  Chocolate sauce is not hot fudge!  It's much runnier and sweeter. They are worlds apart.  I must admit...I am a hot fudge snob.  None of the fake stuff for me.

Hot fudge is thick and rich, made with real cream and butter and high quality bitter-sweet chocolate.  There is a world of difference from chocolate sauce.  This recipe is a great one to have in your repertoire.  It's fast and easy.  No one will mistake it for chocolate sauce believe me.
I'm submitting this to Two for Tuesdays.
Check out this link, Kitchen Bouquet's Ice Cream Social for more great ice cream recipes.

Fabulous Hot Fudge Sauce
Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like dutch processed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cream or half and half
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure real vanilla extract

Whisk cocoa and sugar together well and put into a heavy saucepan.  Add the chocolate and the butter and let them melt, stirring all to make a thick paste.  Slowly add the cream, stirring constantly so that you have a smooth sauce.  Add the salt.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.  Cook to desired consistency and remove from the heat.  Stir in the vanilla and serve immediately.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce.

You can store this sauce in the refrigerator.  Reheat gently, stirring often before using.

26 comments:

  1. That has happened to me... nothing compares to the real deal. I could eat that up with just a spoon - so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Bonnie, I feel like I just hit the jackpot. I'm going to make this recipe and your raspberry sauce today to serve with all the ice cream recipes that I've found in bloggieland. These will be fantastic on the lemon curd ice cream recipe I just posted and on the vanilla that I'm making today.

    Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend...Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh this looks awesome! And a hot fudge recipe from a hot fudge snob has to be good! Thanks so much for joining in on the ice cream social!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the Hot Fudge and the Raspberry Sauces will be going into my file! I agree, sometimes just eating a spoonful of hot fudge is a treat in itself! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great and looks beautiful! Made my first batch of banana ice cream today, this would be great with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie,
    Your sundae looks incredible! Pretty and delicious too. Mmmmm!
    Thank you for sharing your recipe. I want to try it with some homemade vanilla ice cream!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmm, the ice cream goodness continues! I love hot fudge too! I actually have everything for this recipe, except the ice cream! I'll have to wait for another day! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hot fudge sauce. I can eat it by the spoonful. Did I just admit that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this recipe too - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hot fudge...and this recipe sounds good. (I, too, posted a recipe for hot fudge...great minds think alike!)

    Jane (Artfully Graced)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's only one think I like better than raspberries and that's chocolate! Wouldn't they be great on a sundae together?! Thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, I am sooo glad you visited me and giving me the chance to visit YOUR delicious blog. I can't wait to check out more of your recipes.
    What beautiful photos you have here, too.
    I am making this sauce for next Sunday. We belong to a home fellowship group, meeting at different houses and always having a meal together (breaking bread with one another is such a lovely experience)...I will make a couple of freezers of ice cream and serve your sauce along with it. Won't they all think I AM SO GOOD!!! haahha...thanks so much for your recipe.
    I am your newest follower...hope you will come over to my place again soon.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi from one hot fudge snob to another! When purchasing a hot fudge sundae, I ask for just one scoop of ice cream and heavy on the sauce. Thanks for the recipe; it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another Utah girl? I want to join the Hive when I have been a busy bee long enough! I am a hot fudge snob too and nothing they sell at the store is remotely close. My recipe is really close but uses cream, I would be better off to switch to half and half. Your photos are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a must try recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so totally agree with your about chocolate sauce. Since I used to work at an ice cream parlor that had great hot fudge sauce, I agree with you. I love a great homemade hot fudge sauce! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, now I'm totally craving a sundae with HOT FUDGE and RASPBERRY SAUCE thank u very much ;) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't even eat much icecream and your raspberry and now Hot Fudge sauces are calling my name! I will be putting these in my box for when I get my icecream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This hot fudge sauce sounds heavenly! Thanks for sharing it at our Two for Tuesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for bringing the ice cream social to the Two for Tuesdays blog hop. I'll skip the ice cream, just give me a few scoop of the hot fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You're making me crave an ice cream sundae!

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my secret dreams, shared only with my closest friends is to swim in hot fudge! lol i love it that much! This recipe looks KILLER and I am totally making it! THANK you for posting it on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delicious hot fudge! I'll have to set my recipe aside and give yours a whirl, it sounds wonderful. I like that you use two types of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. YAY!!! I'm seeing this just in time!!! I making something this weekend that I wanted a chocolate of sorts poured over and this be it! thank you! thank you! I can't wait to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie, I'm actually making this hot fudge sauce today, but I don't see where you stir in the bittersweet chocolate...do you add it at the end? I don't know if I'm just missing something(I see the cocoa)...I know my brain isn't always at full throttle:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sauce looks very delicious.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete