Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ina's Cheddar Corn Chowder


It all started with this....

Fresh sweet white corn on the cob from Sunflower Market.  I bought the cobs and then decided on soup. 
I love Ina Garten's recipes, especially her soups...and this cheddar corn chowder was no exception.  I was expecting it to be a little cheesier, and I wasn't sure about that, but the cheese flavor was very understated.  I might call this potatoe corn chowder if I had written the recipe.  The potatoes were more prominent than the cheese.  I used fresh corn from the cob but for the money, I think frozen would work just as well.  Erin liked the firm texture of the fresh corn and she could tell it was fresh.  This soup was very thin as the recipe was written,  so I doubled the roux and it was perfect for us; morelike what we have come to expect from a chowder.

It's still cold here, we were 20 degrees below normal for this time of year today.  Where is spring?????  We counted 9 golden eagles migrating home on our way home this weekend so we know it's here.  Now if only the temperature would cooperate and warm up.

I needed a meal to take in to friends so the soup turned out to be just the ticket with a small loaf of sunflower whole wheat bread.  Maybe I should be glad we still get to enjoy soup for a little longer.

14 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to fresh summer corn. This looks like a perfect way to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is quite cold and grey here today, too. Chowder sounds like just the thing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    This is my very first time here and I'm loving your blog. Mind you I'm 10 weeks pregnant and craving everything I', seeing here!!! LOL

    Drop by my blog if you have a minute. It would a pleasure having you there.

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Ina doesn't disappoint ~ what a lovely way to present soup paired with a loaf of bread to a friend! My other fave using corn is Mimi's corn chowder...I add bacon bits and cheese to it. Still soup days around here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it IS good with the fresh corn from the cob:) This soup would be great with your sunflower bread I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful. I love Ina's recipes and this one looks among her best. I'm relatively new to your blog and don't often comment, but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy visiting your beautiful site. I always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely soup weather here, and we are finishing off the last of the summer corn. So this recipe is extremely timely :) I'll have to give it a go. Have a lovely weekend Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for fresh corn, lovely soup..and such a nice gesture wrapping the soup for a gift!
    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, Bonnie, this looks wonderful! I made this recipe once along time ago. Today was a soup day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, yesterday was finally a spring day, just gorgeous. Now the threat of flooding will come.

    this looks fabulous. I haven't made many of Ina's but I hear they are just fabulous. It looks wonderful and with the cold weather, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I jsut checked to see if you had posted anything recently...now I'm remembering your daughter is coming home soon. Hooray! Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie! This was the soup you brought us, isn't it! Delicious, delicious, delicious! I'm so glad to have the recipe. Anything you make is wonderful, but to bring it to a friend for a surpise dinner was extra thoughtful. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I love your soups and baking recipes sometimes work here at 6,700 ft in New Mexico. Thank you for sharing all of them w/ us. I have emailed you once before about your altitude, so you may remember me. I must be tired, but I can't find the recipe for the corn chowder soup on your site, even though I seem to be on the page with the pictures and all. Can you pls post the link? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete