Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, November 19, 2010

Salted Caramel Banana Pudding Pie

Have you seen the new Food Network show Dessert First, with pastry chef Anne Thornton?  She made this pie on a recent show and I thought it looked so good I had to try it.  It is good!  What's not to love about bananas, caramel, and a cookie crust?  This recipe looks complicated  but it can be made in stages ahead of time.  Don't let the salted Caramel sauce scare you.  Just follow the directions carefully and to the letter.  There were just 3 of us home this Sunday.  I made individual pies in ramekins.  Next time I'll try one big pie.
Here's the link to the recipe for Salted Caramel Banana Pudding Pie, if you'd like to try it. 
I make the pies for our traditional American Thanksgiving dinner with my extended family every year.  We are fortunate to have most of my family members close enough to get together for Thanksgiving and some years I have made as many as 10 pies.  I always make pumpkin and pecan.  The other varieties vary from year to year but I try to include at least one cream and one fruit pie as well as the pumpkin and pecan.  This one just might make the cut for this year.  It will be easy and I won't have to make so many crusts from scratch.  And It's rich...you won't need more than a small piece per person which means it should feed quite a lot of guests.  Tell me what you think about this pie.  What's your families favorite Thanksgiving dessert?
Traditional or not so traditional?

Linked to Hearth n' Soul

14 comments:

  1. If you make that your family will love it, that's for sure. I'd even say give me that instead of the pumpkin pie. As for my family, we've always been traditional types but I think it's time to branch out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderfully delectable and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great alternative to the traditional pies. I too am the one to bring the pies at Thanksgiving, but this year we are traveling and "no cooking required". Sigh, I think I will miss it. As to your question about your kitchens, I would hazard a guess that your city kitchen is bigger than your country kitchen. Looking forward to seeing both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! So does the soup in the last post. Sure wish I would be eating it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, it looks good...am i just not seeing it? Where is the recipe? The name itself sounds worthy of trying.
    Our favorite dessert, overall I think would be cranberry apple pie. We have a big PIE NIGHT party every year the night before Thanksg. It's a great time. abt 100-150 family and neighbors attend. So fun.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si, Thanks for letting me know that I forgot to hook up the link. I've done it now.

    What a great idea to eat pie before the big day. I never have room after dinner, and pie is the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a pie I would love. I wish my family still got together on Thanksgiving. Everyone does their own thing now. You're lucky. I'd want to make the pies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds SO yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was a very good idea to make this in stages oh this reminds me of homemade banana pudding.Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a delicious anytime dessert. Bananas are available anytime, and now what a great dessert for that lucky coincidence. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it sounds fabulous!!! Anything with salted caramel..YUM! I think it'll go over well :) Thanks for sharing w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, my husband loves banana cream pie...so I can assure you that he will love this one...looks delicious...so creamy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pudding pie sounds really delicious! I would love to make the pies, but this year I only have to bring the potato cheese casserole. Our favorite family dessert that we have every year is the traditional pumpkin pie:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bookmarked this recipe. This is a pie that my entire family (the 3 of us) would love. I love that the pudding is homemade (and I love almond extract in most anything). The salted caramel takes this to a new level, doesn't it? I've been wanting to make homemade vanilla wafers, so that's my next research project. Thanks for the inspiration!
    I love your recipe collection. While I try to go a little gourmet, it's only because I'm self-teaching myself. Bottom line, I'm a comfort food kinda gal.
    PS: Shhh, but you figured out what I made the pomegranate molasses for. It was kickin' good!

    ReplyDelete