Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bouchons and Marie Claire and Marianne


The doorbell rang. Standing there on my doorstep was my friend Marianne.You  may have heard...our trip to Europe was cancelled due to the Icelandic volcano erupting.  Marianne, who is an expert on all things Parisian dropped by my house a few weeks ago to offer me her suggestions of places and shops for us to visit in France.  An avid traveler, she had many great tips for us. She heard that our trip had been cancelled and brought by these thoughtful and delicious gifts.

Marianne made us Thomas Keller's bouchons (which literally translated means cork) and filled the red plate with them.

I had never tasted a bouchon, even though I had toyed with buying the molds a while back.  OH MY GOSH!!!  I am going for molds tomorrow and that can't be soon enough.  The boucons were rich and buttery with just the right amount of chocolate and sugar.  They melted in our mouths, and reminded me of a rich, smooth, soft, BETTER brownie bite than I had ever eaten.  The rose in the photo is a full-sized rose and look how small the bouchons are by comparison.   Now I know that Marianne is very talented; she bakes, cooks, quilts, sews and is a true artist.  We can add French pastry chef to the list of her accomplishments.  And if the bouchons weren't enough of a treat, she brought me a copy of Marie Claire magazine...in French.  Now I don't speak French but it was so fun looking at the beautiful photos I may have to learn (or more realistically; get a translator). 

Thank you Marianne.  Sometimes life disappoints, but friends never do.  You made my day.  Vive la Marianne!!!

On another note...check out the great give-away on Frieda's blog (Lovin' from the Oven).

6 comments:

  1. I should just stop reading your blog I am ruining my computer with all my saliva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful treat, and you have a dear friend to think of you! We had heart failure last night when we listened to the news . . . our flights could have been in danger. So glad we choose a different route!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, They tasted as good as they look.

    Cristie, I thought of that as well this morning. So good NOT to be stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie - You have won a Quesadilla cookbook from fabfrugalfood.com! Thanks for being a supporter of our blog!

    Email us your mailing address at fabfrugalfoodie[at]gmail[dot]com.

    We will have the book off to you soon!

    Donna Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. my little girl calls bouchon "fancy brownie towers"... fitting, i think :) i love them! please go to tulie bakery and eat every single one they have available... you can thank me later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Anne is my mother-in-law, and she truly is a jack of all trades! Glad you got to enjoy her delicious bouchons!

    ReplyDelete