He started buying sacks with geographical and family significance. He was persistent with the quilt idea and I finally agreed to make him one as long as he agreed it could be a leisurely project. I was true to my word; it took 3 years to complete. I didn't work on it consistently and the hand quilting took me a lot longer than I planned on.
I used quilting thread for the tiny stitches and heavy linen thread to do big stitch quilting and cross stitches along the edges of the blocks. The sacks were "wonky" with different fabric thicknesses and ranged in size from 3 lb. to 100 lb. bags. Some were full of holes and needed patching.
But in the end, I am happy with it. I hope he is too.