Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Friday, October 29, 2010

Cherry Bars

 These bars are a variation of a cookie recipe that my mother makes.  I've adapted a few ingredients to suit my taste.  Not overly sweet; they can be made with any fruit pie filling of your choice.  They are especially good with apple pie filling (my Mom's recipe of course).  I didn't have any but I find canned pie fillings are perfectly acceptable in this recipe. These would be a perfect addition to the "tea" tray or your Christmas desert buffet.
Cherry or Berry Bars

8 oz. of butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
4 large lightly beaten eggs
2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 teaspoon of Buttery Sweet Dough Bakery Emulsion (or substitute vanilla extract)
1 can or cherry or berry pie filling (or use your own home made)

Preheat the oven to350º F. Butter a 17”x12”x1” pan.

Cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and mix just until blended. Add the extracts.

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. Stir into the creamed mixture just until blended. Spread into the prepared pan. Mark the batter into 30 squares by pressing lightly into the top of the batter with a sharp knife.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of fruit filling into the center of each square. Do not press it into the batter (the batter will puff up around the filling as it bakes).
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the batter comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.

Cut into bars and sprinkle with powdered sugar..
Linked to 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies and Hearth 'n Soul.

20 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Amazing how the batter puffs around the cherry. This is a guaranteed Christmas dessert.

    Have a marvelous weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so pretty and the cherry filling is perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yum. Cherry would be my flavor of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the cookie puffs up around the filling. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great BUT WHERE IS THE FAMOUS SQUASH SOUP????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect for a Christmas tray. This one goes in the "to try" file.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Famous Squash soup is coming, I promise. I just need a chance to make some to photograph. Just returned from a weekend at the Grand Canyon so as soon as I unpack I'll get on the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like a perfect holiday treat. i love the color and plan on making it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, these look delicious!! Definitely putting these on my holiday baking list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love this recipe!! I've never seen anything quite like this, I love how the pastry puffs up around the filling. This is bookmarked and I can't wait to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so bookmarking these - I love cookies with filling and I love how simple this is - and yet beautiful! I think it would be fabulous with coffee! Thanks for linking this up at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie I made and posted this recipe for my 12 weeks of Christmas Cookie recipe this week. I can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bon Bonnie! I gotta tell you my FAVORITE pastries are cherry based! I dont know why, but that cooked cherry just melts in my mouth and warms up my soul! The dough in your pictures looks good enough to eat just like that! i am totally bookmarking this for the holidays! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi ^_^ nice to meet you, delicious bars and happy blog!
    Sorry for my bad english I'm Sonia
    See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello!
    I have just discovered your lovely blog, so I am following you now.
    I suspect I will come back here very soon.
    I love your dishes!
    Have a nice day
    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw this recipe posted on Barbara Bakes and wanted to check out yours as well. I love the fruit filling and how the dough puffs around it. This would be a nice dessert for the holiday season and to add to our cookie trays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't been following you very long but am wondering if there is a post for your mother's apple pie filling somewhere? Would love to see it as I have an abundance of apples right now.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anyone have the original version.

    ReplyDelete