Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Saturday, May 1, 2010

An Orange for Frankie

The Mac Attack challenge is time was to make a macaron with our favorite childhood book as inspiration.
While this book wasn't written when I was a child, I love it as an adult.  I used this book as my inspiration for Chocolate Marmalade Macarons.

An Orange for Frankie, the children's picture book written by Patricia Polacco, is another beautiful book by this wonderful writer and illustrator.

 This book tells the true story of the author's great uncle, who lived during the Great depression of the 1930's in America. Every Christmas his father made the long journey into the city to bring home one precious orange for each family member which sat on the fireplace mantel until it was peeled and eaten after Christmas Eve supper.



 
Frankie puts his orange in his pocket and accidentally loses it and he is devastated.  After dinner his family presents him with an orange - eight wedges held together with a ribbon. Each family member had cut a wedge from their precious orange and put them together for Frankie.  They told him that his orange was like their family, held together by the ribbon, which represented love.  What a beautiful and endearing story.

When I frist read this book it was eery.  You see we have a family tradition of putting chocolate oranges in our daughters Christmas stockings; wedged chocolate oranges.
There is a company here is the United States that makes a milk or dark chocolate foil-wrapped orange, sold mostly during the Christmas season.  The chocolate isn't exceptional but the draw is that when they are whacked sharply on something hard they cleanly break off into chocolate orange segments.  Pretty clever, huh?  My girls loved to get both a real orange and a chocolate one on Christmas morning.  Thinking that they were getting older and this was a childish tradition, I didn't put the chocolate oranges in their stockings two years ago, silly me!  You would have thought that the GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS!  Two of them complained that just because they are growing older it didn't mean that traditions shouldn't still be carried on, so I made sure that I bought the chocolate oranges early last year for their stockings. 

My first attempt at chocolate macarons ended in the first failure that I have ever had making
macarons.  The chocolate recipe from this book seemed "off" from the beginning.  Even though I weighed the ingredients, the batter was so sticky and wet it never formed the skin on the top of the mac.   After hours of letting the macs sit on my counter to dry without any skin forming at all, I baked them anyway.

The first macs are at the top of the photo, and just as I suspected; they didn't get feet. They are not very pretty or appetizing looking, but the nutella caramel buttercream filling we put inside was delicious.  Rachel took them to a party with her London roomates and they ate all of them, so they were eaten and they tasted good but they didn't look good.   I wouldn't recommend the book this recipe came from.  Enough of that recipe. 

My friend Barbara (of Barbara Bakes ) told me her favorite chocolate macaron recipe was David Lebovitz'.  So I made new batch using his recipe and had much better results.  As you can see from the photo, this recipe has a lot of cocoa powder.  These macs have a pronounced chocolate flavor and just look at those pretty feet.  

Same technique and humidity on the same day.  Better recipe.  Enough said. 

I sandwiched some butter cream made with my homemade orange marmalade (love this stuff), which I have posted about before; and voila!  Crunchy outside, chewy inside, with just the right amount of orange flavor.

This recipe is a "keeper".  Beautiful chocolate macarons, finally!


18 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful chocolate macarons! Great tie in to the story and you orange marmalade does look wonderful! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous macarons! Chocolate and Orange is a luscious combination too.

    I've not heard of the book "An Orange for Frankie". But I remember my Mom telling me that when she was young every Christmas every member of her family, 7 in all, received one orange. So it was a precious gift for more then one family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable inspiration! I've never heard of this book, but I'm going to have to check it out for my future children.

    The macs look delicious...and really it's all about taste isn't it? (Although the second batch looks truly perfect...great job!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,

    You won the ABK Mother's Day giveaway! Email me your address at Abountifulkitchen@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! What a great combination. Also, I love Patricia Polacco's books - they always stress the really important things in life like family, friends, etc. Glad your second batch worked out nicely...and it's a good thing that macarons taste good no matter how they look, otherwise I would have wasted many an egg white!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry I'm late but what a treat! This is brilliant. Lovely book and what a splendid tradition giving the chocolate oranges for Xmas inspired by this book. Grinch, indeed, for taking that away. And boy your final orange chocolate macs look fabulous! Perfect! And great flavor combo. Brilliant! Thanks so much for baking with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chocolate macs turned out wonderful and perfect looking pied. The filling looks delicious and beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Lebovitz' macs look perfect! I love chocolate and orange together. Great idea for a mac flavor. My kids love the chocolate oranges at Christmas too. Okay, I'll admit to eating my share too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful feet and I love cho-orange combinations (and Terry's chocolate oranges too :)). Have yet to try making a chocolate macaron, but I think this has inspired me :)

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to try making these but they really intimidate me. I'll have to do it sometime (I know I will eventually). I love your filling! They came out beautifully. bummer about the first batch though

    ReplyDelete
  11. your macarons look wonderful! i have never seen this book but i love your choice and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your macarons are just beautiful. Oh those swoonworthy smooth shells and I love the orange marmalade buttercream idea. I have never heard of the book before but your synopsis is heartwarming and I can understand your family's emotional connection. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some gorgeous feet you got there Bonnie. Chocolate and orange are a classic good combo, and better still if connected with emotions! Love that you used homemade marmalade in the filling. I must too, since I make my own batch of bitter seville marmalade year after year. David's choc mac recipe is certainly the best... and it shows here!
    Thanks for joining us at MacTweets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, your mac's are perfect! The feet are perfect, the filling looks wonderful and your book was such a sweet choice. I think you have really become a Master at this, so happy you're just a few blocks away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your macarons are perfectly beautiful. I think David's chocolate mac recipe is so good and is the one I always use.

    I will make your marmalade buttercream filling the next time I make them. What a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful chocolate macarons. I love the combination of orange and chocolate. The marmalade buttercream sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely macs. My dad loves chocolate and orange, I will have to make these for him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a strong passion for the mac. Your macarons are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete