Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Figs


I went to the market today.  I bought these: Brown Turkey Figs.

I've already eaten one (OK, two).  
No one in my family likes them much except me.  You'll find no recipe here because I like them best eaten out of hand.  They are a funny fruit with their interesting coloring and their crunchy little seeds.  They can't be grown in my climate and I wait all year long for them to arrive in the store. Summertime fruit is the best.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, my sister and I buy figs and eat them like candy also. No one at our homes really care for them either, good for us ! Hope you are enjoying your summer---it is hot hot here 99-102 hot :( I'm not big on hot summer.
    Even my dogs don't want to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in central Pennsylvania and have a fig tree in my backyard. We cover the root system with carpeting and wrap the tree (after pruning in the fall) with insulation for the winter. I found a delicious recipe for fig preserves on allrecipes and give jars as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. i'm a girl who loves figs!! those look a little more like mission figs to me than turkey figs.. but what do i know. i make fig jam, fig chutney, fig cake, fig compote, fig tart, grill them on rosemary skewers, filled with feta and drizzled in honey.. and right off the tree. love love love them. can't wait for the 2nd season just around the corner!!
    brigette

    ReplyDelete