Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Monday, December 20, 2010

Tamale Night at the Crowleys

 
Traditionally tamales are eaten at Christmas time in the Mexican culture.  The Crowleys host a tamale night every year at their home and we have had the privilege of being invited to participate for many years now. 

As you can see tamale making is a messy process.  The tamale assembly line has mostly been manned by the moms in the past but now the younger crowd isgetting into the act.  We had children as young as 8 assembling them this year.





There's quite an art to spreading the masa thinly in the corn husks...you need to get just the right ratio of chili and meat to the masa.  The rolling in the corn husk takes a bit of skill as well.

Margie loads the double-decker tamale steamer (we made over 200 this year).  It's hard to get an accurate count because we cook some, eat some, cook some, and eat some more.  Why do we make so many?  I now have 4 dozen packed away in the freezer.

Add pico de gallo, Mexican rice, chips, a nice green salad, wash it down with sparkling lime-ade, and end the meal with caramelized flan (which got eaten before I got any photos, but it was excellent). 
Normally, I'd give you the recipe for the tamales but there isn't a recorded copy. Margie learned to make these in her mother's and grandmother's kitchens.  It's a handful of this (handfuls because we made over 200) and some of that; even the masa is mixed by hand.  Mary makes a spicier pot of chili and Margie makes another.  The pork is cooked and added to the different sauces.  Which chili you pick to top your tamal divides the men/women from the boys/girls.  I'm learning more of the recipe each year, but I doubt I will ever make these on my own.  Why?  Tamale making is an activity best suited to good friends and a holiday.  The secret ingredient that makes these tamales so special can't be purchased from a market; it's the comraderie of good friends and one special host family. 
And so it goes...another year of tamales, followed by carols 'round the tree. All in all, a fine way to spend an evening.  All that was missing was the Mariachi band.

8 comments:

  1. Your tamale making night looked like a great time. I have never seen the double decker steamer before. My mother learned how to make tamales from our dear friend Rosa Reyes from our church growing up. We loved them. Every once in awhile I make them -- most often I make a cheese one with corn in it. My family loves it. I hope you have the Merriest Christmas. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a lot of work because my sister makes tamales. Her husband is Spanish American and comes from a very large family and they taught my sister. They sure are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is my kind of party. I'm a bit jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! Though my grandma was Mexican(and born in Mexico) she never made tamales?!? I did make some with a friend one year, but she moved to Arizona:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful get-together! I've never made tamales but I love eating them. I'm sure the camaraderie makes them taste extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, fun thing to do with friends! Plus it yields delicious results that everyone can enjoy and take home. I'd love to learn how to make tamales, so if you are ever able to quantify the ingredients and lay out the recipe, I'll have to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so lucky to get invited. I love homemade authentic Mexican tamales.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a neighbor who does the same thing. Usually they only make tamales at Christmas, but last spring they invited me over and we made tamales. So fun! an art. I had a hard time taking good pics and spreading the dough! Same thing here with no recipe.
    love your post.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete