Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cinnamon Peach Ice Cream Sandwiches

Well, Liz's shower came and went.  Unfortunately, so did my peaches...before I could make them up into Peach Upside-Down Cakes for the shower.  So I made these
using purchased Dreyer's summer peach ice cream.  One of Liz's favorite places to go when she was at university was a cookie and ice cream place that made custom ice cream sandwiches to order.  You choose your cookie and your ice cream and they put one together for you right on the spot.
These cinnamon butter cookies are so versatile.  They would compliment any ice cream you put inside them to  make sandwiches.  I form my cookies with a small spring loaded ice cream scoop.  Bake and cool them completely.  Put one large scoop-full of ice cream in the middle of one cookie and top with the bottom of another of the same size.  Press down gently and wrap.  Fill and freeze them quickly or hide the cookies until you do; they just might get eaten all by themselves.  I used to buy these cookies at Mrs. Fields, and we all know how good her cookie's are!  The bonus is that they are so much less expensive to make at home that you can eat twice as many.  Yes, I did just say that.  Go ahead, I bet you can't just eat one.
Cinnamon Sugar Butter Cookies

Mrs. Fields Cookie Book

Preheat oven to 325˚ F.
Topping:

3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a bowl combine sugar and cinnamon for topping. Set aside.
Combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with a whisk and set aside.
Blend sugars with an electric mixer set at medium speed. Add the butter, and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape sides of bowl, and then add the eggs and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed just until combined. Do not over mix. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll each ball in cinnamon-sugar topping.
Place onto un-greased cookie sheets, 2-inches apart. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.

Yield: 3 Dozen small cookies

These freeze well; with or without ice cream in the middle.

This is linked to Recipe Swap Thursday

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, don't those cookies look delicious even without the ice cream. I think I just have to make this recipe. Cookies are a must for the first day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use one of these right now, or maybe two, or maybe three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Liz was more than happy with this alternative! A cinnamon cookie complements peaches so perfectly! Looks perfectly YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie -- I used to frequent a place near the BYU campus to buy custom made ice cream sandwiches too. Yum! These look so delicious! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! Love peach ice cream and your way of doing the sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness. these look so amazing! Can I come over for treats to your house?!:) Truly, I think you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete